The local wildlife manager and conservationist’s passion for conservation and education led to the birth of this project.
Volunteers will be instructed and guided in many of the disciplines necessary to managing an African game reserve. Specific focus is placed on managing the wildlife, conservation, and reserve maintenance, the cheetah breeding research,elephant care and all research projects. Volunteers will also engage in night time and dawn/dusk activities, research, monitoring and patrolling.
This course has been designed to offer participants the incomparable volunteer experience in practical knowledge and diverse hands-on encounters with the world famous “Big-Five” animals of Africa, as well as a multitude of other wild animals.
Volunteers will receive training throughout the course on the following;
- Animal immobilisation - drugs, methods and equipment
- Tracking - the basics of animal tracking
- Bird, insect and plant identification - Volunteers will learn to identify the different types of birds, insects, fauna and flora
- Wildlife management: learn all the facets of managing a big 5 game reserve.
- Approaching game on foot - Learn how to safely approach animals on foot, while being conscious of their comfort zones
- Tracking - The practical basics of training
- Survival camp – learn how to survive in the wild
- Understanding the enclosure structure and the upkeep and improvement thereof