Since January 2015, several partner schools have validated Freepackers humanitarian missions as part of their students' mandatory internships in the medical sector. The medical internship in Cape Town, South Africa, is part of the selection of IFSI trainees.
Task of the trainees :
- Working alongside the medical professionals and observing them in the consulting room
- Assisting in the triage room to check vital signs of patients and sending them to the relevant medical professions according to urgency of their illness or injury
- Assisting in the trauma room with tasks assigned by the senior in charge
- Observing in the HIV and AIDs section and assisting with administration of tests
- Observing in the maternity obstetrics unit; including birth, pre-natal and post-natal
- Assisting in different clinics to help educate parents/patients on; non-communicable diseases, diabetic club, hypertension club, epilepsy
- Assisting in the pharmacy
We remind that the trainees will mainly have an observation role and will assist doctors, nurses and all hospital staff in their daily tasks. Surgical placements are available from 3 years of education (except for health professional).
The project is located in Retreat, a small town at 20 minutes from the city center of Cape Town, and 35 minutes from housing in Tableview. This area is also known for its diversity of cultures and the integration of economic social environments. Professionals who work at clinics speak both English and Afrikaans ; but children in underprivileged environment speak eather English or Afrikaans.
Arrival and welcome in Cape Town
Day 1 : Saturday
You are collected from the airport by the staff and taken to the 5-star Saltycrax Backpackers. You will be shown around and given a map of the area. You have the day at your own leisure so you can explore the beach, shops, bars and restaurants. In the evening, you'll eat a Welcoming meal at the hostel with others internationals : "the Braai" which is a traditional South African barbecue. Depending on your arrival time, you will meet directly with your project coordinator to set an appointment for the next day.
Day 2 : Sunday
Start the day with breakfast at Saltycrax Backpackers. Your friendly Saltycrax staff member will give you a list of sites to visit and they'll teach you about the bus system before you head out to Cape Town City Center. Often , a group of volunteers organize to leave together for the day. In the evening, coordinators and volunteers meet at a beach bar / restaurants near Tableview (where the hostel is located).
Day 3 : Monday
After breakfast you will be transported to your project or dropped off at your bus station to transported to your project. You will met the medical staff and have an orientation session. In the afternoon, you will be helped to settle into the hostel that will be your accommodation for the duration of the internship.
- Tuesday (or Monday for the following weeks) to Friday : Internship at the hospital
- Saturday / Sunday : rest
Local transportation is not included as it is customary to use Uber to get from your accommodation to the internship location. It is a safe local transportation (safer than the official local cabs!) and especially cheaper because you can share the costs on 1 car. However, you can check with your coordinator about other solutions such as renting a car for example (be careful to bring an international driving license).