The main objective is the facilitation of poverty prevention programmes and upliftment in the settlements. Employment and education opportunities are provided where possible. We try to assist the community through specific programs such as “Winter Hope” whereby we provide warm clothing and shoes to the children, blankets to families as well as obtaining building materials to fix leaking roofs and rebuild structures where necessary to try and provide some relief from the winter cold which can be freezing when your only shelter is a damp, leaking corrugated iron structure!
Another regular program is to provide with, assist in or educate communities in agriculture projects such as subsistence farming. With this, we help start new vegetable gardens, work in existing vegetable gardens or educate about growing food for own use. This assists with food aid and poverty alleviation.
We engage these communities in regular education, motivation and social upliftment programmes and exciting events such as fun at the beach, various sporting activities and outings which are hosted throughout the year.
Volunteers will help in the daily running of the programs for example:
- Teaching lesson plans to children in the preschool (colors, letters, shapes, art) as well as teaching English through play and vocabulary stimulation
- Stimulating smaller children in the younger groups with developmental toys, touch and by speaking English to them, we hope it will help them learn faster when they get to the older English is compulsory in later education. The earlier they learn, the more they benefit
- Assisting with the tasks at the preschool such as cooking, cleaning, feeding and hygiene
- Supervising children at all times during outdoor or free play
- Helping with events
- Administration, lesson plan preparation, developmental activities, research
- Helping with the baby room – changing diapers, feeding babies, putting babies to sleep as well as basic stimulation through play
- Assisting in the vegetable garden where we grow fresh produce for their meals
- Helping with washing up after meals, cleaning classrooms, washing bedding and toys
- Maintaining a safe and hygienic environment for the children at all times Volunteers will work 5 days a week with the Children
You may be required to do some of these tasks in your free time.
Project tasks may sometimes seem repetitive – but your efforts will make a huge difference. Enjoy the project locations, your fellow team members, and the fact that you are helping to make a difference in the education levels of children that will probably only benefit them in later years. Know that through your efforts, many children are in a safe and loving environment who would otherwise have had nowhere to go in the day.